Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Preparing for Birth

So I got my blood glucose levels back and everything is A-OK. I didnt really think I had anything to worry about.

Ive hit another milestone. Just as I hit 31 wks it seems as well.

Obviously baby is getting bigger and Im finding it so much more difficult to bend. Even slouching is uncomfortable. I seem to be carrying high and completely out to the front (different to my mom & my sister). Im not getting so much booted in the ribs but all over it feels like the baby is taking the sharpest point of its elbow and stabbing me with it. From both sides.

Very uncomfortable and slightly painful.

Also, I think Ive been experiencing Braxton Hicks but cant be sure.

I don’t really notice its happening until I relax my stomach and it feels like I was sucking it in or tightening my muscles. But I wasnt. So from what I read, this is what Braxton Hicks is, a tightening of the uterus. By no means is it painful (which I heard it was, or can be) so thats why Ill know for sure if that is what Im experiencing.

We have also started our ante-natal classes through the NCT (National Childbirth Trust). Theres 7 other couples and 1 girl has the same due date as me! Which I find terribly exciting.

1 girl is a week behind and 1 a week ahead. Only 3 out of 7 know what theyre having. 1 girl, 1 boy and a set of twins which is a girl & a boy.Theres 8 classes in total plus a separate breastfeeding class which only the girls attend. So far weve had only 2 lessons but I really am enjoying them. and we kinda got to set the agenda on the 1st day as to what we wanted to learn about. Questions about the pregnancy, birth and afterwards and she's gonna cover it all. I think we all had the most questions about the after birth than anything.We all seem to be getting this whole pregnancy thing down to pat.

So last night we covered the birth (it was us girls only) and we got to learn breathing techniques, labour positions, what happens in labour, different stages, saw illustrations, pictures....Im actually more scared now than I was before!

I think mostly at the transition part where the babys head is coming and you don’t want it to come to fast but you feel like you need to push...lets just say...embarrassing moments and tears and stuff....thats all Im saying for now!

2 comments:

me and m said...

But remember (when pushing and the baby's head is right there....) that if you listen to your body and push when have the urge you'll be fine. Your body knows what to do - it was made to have a baby! And a tear is no biggie even though it seems kinda scary to think about!

It probably is Braxton-hicks that you've been experiencing. You've been having them through the whole pregnancy just you can feel them really well now!
I liked braxton-hicks...it's kindof a nice tightening sensation I thought!

GraceeJ said...

When I brought Lily Rae home for the first time, there was a big adjustment period for the whole family. Now we are old pros! You'll be just fine :P